Subject: RE: [soa-rm] OASIS SOA-EERP Whitepaper

The distinction between SOA service and business service is leading us to the rabbit hole of treating SOA as purely decomposition technique.

The whole premise of SOA was to align IT with business which means that a service that does not have a concrete business meaning becomes a technical component, using SOA technology for its access. Authentication service should not really be a service in SOA terms.

This aside,  EERP whitepaper is about supplementing technical definition of service contract (WSDL/WADL) with business definition.

From: Bashioum, Christopher D [mailto:cbashioum@mitre.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:38 AM
To: mpoulin@usa.com; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Laskey, Ken

The problem here is the intuitive notion of a “service” as performing some function for another, as opposed to the less intuitive but absolutely necessary notion of making that “function” accessible to another.  The side-effect of this is that many folks now call every function a “function-service” and voila, they are done!  Unfortunately, they then avoid the harder work required to make a capability - intended for consumption by others  - actually consumable, i.e., the stuff the RM points out like visibility, interaction (across different execution contexts), and real-world effect.  If they just focus on the functionality (capability) and assume it is a service because it is stated to be so, it will end up being the same old “stovepipe” that we’re trying to get away from.

This is why the distinction between a business service and a SOA service is necessary, and why I keep pointing it out.  The business side of the house is looking at what the business does for another (the end result of some set of business processes – done on behalf of another), wherease the technology side of the house *must* do things very differently if they want to enable the business side of the house via  a SOA context.

The EERP whitepaper seems to confuse this distinction.  I didn’t read the xml schemas, but I did read the whitepaper, and the whitepaper seems to indicate that the quality of service is for a business service that is made available on the network via a SOA service.  The business service may be accomplished via humans (e.g., Amazon’s mechanical turk), but the business service is accessed via a network endpoint and any associated processing that is necessary to make the business service accessible over that network (i.e., the SOA RM service).