Subject: Re: [soa-rm] end plans for SOA-RAF

I don't think we should necesarily dismiss this idea out of hand, but I
also don't think that we should break up the current document either.

I think that SOA Governance and Management are not critically
architectural issues in their nature. They are, in fact aspects of all
parts of the information architecture that we do not cover in the depth
that they deserve. In part this is because we lack the expertise, but I
suspect that we are not alone in this and it is not our unique deficit.
As business moves more and more into the use of SOA, an understanding is
evolving that all parts of the SOA Ecosystem require governance and
management.

In fact, unlike overall business management or IT-system-specific
management (of which SOA Governance and Management is still just one
part), this is an area that is not well understood. tI think it demands
its own careful study. I suggest that what we may be faced with down the
line is the necessity for reinventing the science and art of governance
and management for Enterprise Architecture as a whole rather than just
focusing on the SOA aspect, and, perhaps this may apply for government
as well. However, be that as it may, I am NOT suggesting we even
consider tackling that.

I suggest we consider leaving the less well-developed sections in, but
rework them SLIGHTLY to emphasize that this is an evolving area and that
we are considering that it may need its own specification, e.g. SOA
Governance and Management. In fact, it may be that we need to rewind our
thinking about this area all the way back to generating its own
Reference Model before a more elaborated model, for which I don't
actually have an appropriate name right now.

Cheers,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks