Subject: Re: [soa-rm] summary of service definition suggestions

I really concern if we go with "IT-oriented definitions" in a White Paper, in SOA-RAF or anywhere else. If SOA-RAF limits itself by "IT-oriented definitions", it will be huge step BACK regarding modern understanding of SOA in enterprises: SOA is really , day by day, getting across the boundaries of IT into Business. SOA in between is the IDEAL position and the definitions of the SOA service should follow this positioning IMO.

- Michael Poulin

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
To: Francis McCabe <fmccabe@gmail.com>
Cc: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Tue, Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

I think that Ken's suggestion of putting this discussion of notional and IT-oriented definitions of service into a White Paper that includes citing the other definitions is spot on. Let's not spend more time wrestling that alligator. I suggest we hold that discussion in a series of RM meetings separate from finishing up the SOA-RAF.

I did not bother even getting started on my own hobby horse here. Suffice it to say that I will contribute it to the White Paper effort.

Count yourselves lucky... for now ;-)

Cheers,
Rex

Francis McCabe wrote:
> I *was* going to ask why we are revisiting this. But then I reread the > RM; and now I think I understand. I does not meet our 'loose coupling' > criterion.

> My 2 cents (repeated from earlier discussions)
> 1. There is some desire to distinguish the 'potential' aspect of > service from the 'actual' performance of service. Both senses are used > and it is therefore easy to talk at cross-purposes.

> 2. There is also the 'thick' view of service compared to the 'thin' > view. If you are a user of a service then you will see the service > 'head-on' as it where, and it becomes essentially a window onto the > capability you are trying to access. From the head-on view, you do not > really see the service itself, you only 'see' the capability -- > through a glass darkly as it were.

> From the 'sideways' view, you see the service as an entity in its own > right that needs policies, management, deployment, testing etc. etc. > This is the thick view of service: thick because there is tangible > 'stuff' between the users of service and the providers, stuff that you > need to know about.

> Again, I think that both aspects are legitimate but confusion can > reign if you do not distinguish these.

> Suggestions:

> (a) A service is an [abstract] resource that permits actors to provide > and access capabilities, together with descriptions that characterize > the capabilities and the means to access them.

> (b) A service is a coherent set of potential objectives that an actor > (or actors) are predisposed to adopt, together with descriptions that > characterize the requirements and the potential objectives.

> The second definition is, of course, informed by Section 3 :) I can > also see people scratching their heads about it.

> Frank

> On Jul 17, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Ken Laskey wrote:

>> All,
>> I suggest you all reread the threads (see >> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm/email/archives/201004/msg00026.html >> and >> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm/email/archives/201004/msg00061.html >> for beginning of threads). They show an order of magnitude more >> insight than the best of other discussions.
>> In an attempt to provide a starting point for the RM meeting >> discussion, I provide the following as a capture: a summary >> definition that tries to capture previous points and suggested >> changes beyond that.
>> <startingPoint>
>> *A service (in the context of SOA) is a capability that exposes a >> business function in the context of the following constraints:*
>> - *The service is offered and packaged by a provider and made >> accessible to consumers*
>> - *access is provided using a prescribed interface that abstracts (or >> hides) the implementation details of the capability or function, and*
> [...]

-- Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design
GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison