Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] proposed way forward for SOA reference architecture foundation work

…Lurking no more ;-)

Hi all, talk on the call tomorrow

Regards,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

Transforming our Relationships with Information Technologies

www.peterfbrown.com

@pensivepeter

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 23 November, 2010 15:05
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

[This email is being sent to both the RM and RA lists to make sure all interested parties are informed.  My apology for duplication.]

It is with considerable regret that I announce the resignation of Frank McCabe as chair of the SOA Reference Architecture subcommittee and as an editor of the SOA-RAF specification.  Frank has been a major contributor since the inception of the RM work in 2005, and he has greatly influenced both specifications.

However, the RAF work continue and is nearing completion, and I am proposing the following as the plan for reaching that goal.

First, unless someone else wants to stand for chair of the subcommittee, I will assume this position in addition to being RM Technical Committee chair.

Second, I have asked Peter Brown and Chris Bashioum to assume the duties as editors of Section 3, Service Ecosystem View.  Both Peter and Chris were members of the TC during the RM development, with Peter serving as one of the RM editors, and both have been lurking on the RA work.  I consider them to be knowledgeable but with sets of fresh eyes.   My charge to these gentlemen is to start with the material on hand and assemble a view that (1) captures the essential elements of the ecosystem, (2) is clear if and to what extent existing knowledge is expected from the reader, and (3) clearly conveys the essential items in line with those stated expectations.  The view should attempt to be complete within the scope that is intended and to be consistent across the concepts we define and upon which we base our understanding of the ecosystem.

I have provided Peter and Chris with a number of intermediate drafts spanning from PR2 to the snapshot uploaded 11/17/2010, and they have begun a detailed review, starting with the latest draft.  The goal of everyone involved is still to bring this to closure as quickly as possible, and I have asked Peter and Chris to address the subcommittee during the RAF call tomorrow and discuss their planned schedule for section 3.

As noted, I provided Peter and Chris with some materials but I also invite those who have been involved in this work to let the editors know what you think is important to consider and what other artifacts you believe provide important input.  You may do this publicly on the list or privately, if you choose.  Please be concise enough to make your positions clear and the editors will be able to follow up as they see the need.

Finally, as the section 3 editors do their work, there is still other work to keep the rest of us productively busy.  At the last RM quarterly meeting, I asked for a punch list of remaining items.  My immediate task, with your help, is to put together that punch list.  Please send to me a list of the things you see as needing to be done.  I do not wish to open up every old discussion point but I want to collect those items that MUST be addressed to create a quality, albeit not perfect, document.  Section editors, please review the adjudicated comments to PR2 and make sure resolutions are incorporated or add the item to the punch list.  If there are outstanding issues, I ask that the editors work with the commenter to reach resolution or to provide a clear statement of remaining issues and options.  I then expect the full subcommittee to (1) review and hopefully ratify the resolutions reached between the editors and the commenters, or (2) review the statement of the outstanding issue and form a group consensus to reach closure.

I have also asked the section 3 editors, and I suggest this apply to all editors, to document exactly what has changed in response to a comment, and to be equally clear if they decide to change something on their own initiative.  This should help in identifying which issues have been closed to everyone’s satisfaction (or, at least, acquiescence).

I suggest we review this proposed plan during tomorrow’s call and use this as the stepping off point for the final phase of our work.  While we have had an unexpected change in circumstances, I hope we can show the same agility we expect from the SOA solutions we describe.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379