Subject: Copy of soa-ra-v1.0-cs01 with text problems fixed

Members of the SOA-RM TC,

Reference Architecture Foundation for Service Oriented Architecture V1.0 Committee Specification 01 has been published and announced. Congratulations on making this milestone! You can find the announcment on the OASIS Web Site at https://www.oasis-open.org/news/announcements/reference-architecture-foundation-for-service-oriented-architecture-v1-0-cs01-pub

In preparing the Committee Specification from the working draft, we had to fix a number of things in the content in order to get the final documents to be displayed correctly. We did this in order to expedite your processing  however I really dislike touching anything below the table of contents. That content is totally yours. A list of general fixes we made is below.

I have attached the doc version of the Committee Specification and ask that if you plan to continue work on a more Committee Specification Drafts, you use this content as your starting point so that the corrected formatting is in place.

Also, should you continue with new CSDs, I ask you to include a Revision History at the end of the document. While not explicitly required by the OASIS Process, Revision Histories are common on OASIS work products and it looks a bit odd to see one in publication without it.

Here's the list of the changes that we made:

1. The document had change control turned on and changes left unaccepted in the document. We had to accept all changes before continuing with the preparation. I prefer that TC Admin not have to make any changes to the content so that there is no question about who was responsible for the state of the content. In future work, please accept all changes in your working drafts before voting on the final copy and sending it to us.

2. There were also 80 some-odd comments throughout the draft related to  edits to be made. We likewise had to remove these while publishing. As above, please remove comments before approving and sending to us.

3. Heading styles weren't used. Rather, the headings were all "Normal" with override formatting. When we applied the CS01 cover pages, all the heading formatting was lost. We had to restyle all the headings for both the sections and the appendicies.

4. We had to fix the TOC include subsection 3.4.6, again because of problems with the styling.

5. Two of the Table of Figures entries (figure 11 and Figure 44)
needed to be hand edited to remove text from the following paragraph that got sucked into the title.

6. In section 5.4.4 there are at least three occurrences of hyperlinked phrase "real world effects" pointing to #RealWorldEffect which are broken - they go to the top of the document. However, at line 450 there is a link which pointed to #RWE which works. There are two more of these links in 5.4.2.1, one in 2.1.2.1, one in 3.2.3, and two in section 4.3.3.1. Since we couldn't be certain of the editorial intent, we left these alone.

It may be that there was confusion about how you were supposed to provide the document with the Non-Material Changes identified. If that is the case, my apologies and I'll try to be clearer on the steps to follow next time. In any case, the attached -cs01 has all the problems we could fix taken care of. Using it as a starting point for future drafts will save much difficulty down the road.

Again, congratulations on the publication of your Committee Specification.

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org

Primary: +1 973-996-2298