Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Interesting article on SOA and APIs

I understand his distinction but I see a different pattern.

To begin with, every service needs an API or a combination of endpoint and defined information exchange that essentially defines an API.  And, of course, every API provides access under certain circumstances.  So the question cannot be one or the other.

It is interesting that the difference noted is really one of control, with services being connected with more stringent control.  Now there is nothing inherent in services that requires this control.  Moreover, I believe the idea of control, under the fancy title of governance, traces back to the day we admitted that dynamic composability was too hard and we had to find a use for all those shining new registries.  The registries were then billed as the ultimate governance tools — follow my rules or I won’t let you into my registry!  The fear of a Wild West of providers giving options and consumers making choices led to long approval processes that did more to paralyze the service ecosystem than make it “run right”. The pushback was then just to post APIs in a less controlled space.

So the difference is looking into two mirrors, one full of fingerprints and another with a fine layer of dust.  Which one gives the better reflection?  Take your choice.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                             fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508