Subject: Re: [soa-rm] new topic for discussion: shared services

I'm also interested in discussing the topic of "shared services" (though think it is trivial from specification/ontology perspectives).

However, I am am afraid to open a can of worms that the spectrum of sensless but sound names (set around word 'service') are moving around (8 to 12 as Bob counted) .

We discussed some of them before, like 'Application Service', and concluded that an application even with a Web Service interface is not a service, and so on. Have we forgotten those discusstions and have to repeat them? [ “composite service” - I have published re-defined/updated Principles of Service Orientation based on RAF and RM and eliminated a priniciple that allowed one service to be composed by other services as contradicting other SO principles. Also, a “managed service” - which service should not managed? ]

In my recent practice, I led an establishment of shared business services in on of the major UK banks. I can share the lessons learnt if your are interested.

Regards,
- Michael Poulin

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 at 3:47 AM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
All,

The terms “shared services” or “enterprise shared services” often turn up in my world but the concepts are typically ill-defined, the criteria  are nonexistent, and the ramifications have not been explored.  Would this group be interested in adding this as another topic of discussion (and possibly a future document) along side our current SOA ontology work?

Note: a reasonable question is what do I mean by these terms, but I’d like to establish interest rather than just generating spam.

Thanks,

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379