Subject: Re: [soa-rm] new topic for discussion: shared services

An onboarding is a typical procedure for the users of an asset, a service in this case. If onboarding is associated with certain constraints on the usage of the asset in the future, in SO Ecosystem we have 2 mechanisms for this: a) Service Contract; b) Service moinitoring.

Service Contract (explicit contract) should state that given consumer may use particular service not more than N times for period of time (and even mot less than M times for some cases). The Service Moinitoring on the provider side controls these N and M values for particular consumer. I can add - this can be applied differently (different N and M) for different service interfaces and communication channels.

As for the demonstrated slide:
1) for consumer onboarding - a statement "a service provider may see no need to deny access" sounds odd because that was an engagement based on publis Service Description, i.e. implicit Service Contract. If the consumer adhear to the declared polcies, the provider may not deny the request; otherwise it will be a violation of the contract.
2) for service onboarding - I am confused with the condition: "if consumer trust who is provider...": a service onboarding should not depend on opinion of particular consumer; service is onboarded as ameans of sutisfying needs of a category of consumers. A service may be up and available for invocation with no consumers at all. I agree that onboarding a service and making it avaialable/accessible to the consumers are different procedures. I used to use a quarantine pattern for this: while a service is in quarantine, only specially selected consumers may access it and report to the provider about their experience.

Regagrd,
- Michael

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 at 2:37 PM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: "William H Sweet Jr." <wsweet@mitre.org>
Cc: "<rexb@starbourne.com>" <rexb@starbourne.com>, "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>
Let’s start with identifying the aspects of shared services that need to be addressed.  While governance is certainly important, I believe there are other areas of impact.

For example, I was recently in a discussion on the conditions under which a provider wants to know about a consumer, e.g. how much use, before agreeing to allowing the consumer access to the service.  The term used was “onboarding”.

Consider the following screen shot of a discussion slide:

So while governance will establish things to consider and processes for considering them (and management will need to make sure the wishes of governance are carried out), are there more technical things, like monitoring or testing aspects to consider?  (So the testing section of the SOA-RAF might also come into play.)  What about (enterprise) shared services that could be considered infrastructure, and to what extent does your labeling something as infrastructure depend on your context?

Just a few more grains for thought.

Ken