Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA and Cloud

Transparency comes at a cost and there is often a requirement for more transparency when something goes wrong.  Off the top of my head, the only differences with Cloud are the details of the transparency needed and when that transparency is needed.  The execution context should likely set the what and when or the framework for determining these.

Ken

On Jun 16, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Mike Poulin <mpoulin@usa.com> wrote:

A transparancy in SO Ecosystem has its special boundaries. A consumer cannot askabout dependencies, but can ask about policies applied and resolution of the policy dependency issue. For example, a Service Contact refers to a Policy 2 that is an extension of the Policiy 1 and the latter is not mentioned in the Contract. The P1 changes, while P2 has a graceful period to adopt this change. A consumer can request a disclosure of this graceful period becuase consumer becomes incompliant to P1 for this time.

- Michael

Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: "Mike Poulin" <mpoulin@usa.com>
Cc: "Martin Smith" <bfc.mclean@gmail.com>, "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>
I like the final question: where is cloud an instance of typical business and where is it special?

Some other thoughts:

- I have seen many service description templates that have Dependencies as an attribute.  This is not just what I’ve talked about as Preconditions.  For example, when does the Consumer have the right/need to ask about the details of service composition?  Opacity would say generally never.  In a loose analogy, when does the Consumer have the right/need to ask about the details of cleaning solutions used at a dry cleaner.  We assume the dry cleaner uses approved cleaners and disposes of waste per regulations.  We demand transparency when something goes wrong.

Need to run to meeting. More thoughts later.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508