Subject: shared services comments

My apologies for not getting back to this sooner.  I’ve inserted comments to comments made by Michael and Martin in their respective mark-ups.  We can discuss these further during Wednesday’s meeting — call-in details to be distributed.

A couple of definition questions came up that have bothered me for a long time, and I’d be interested to know if others have suggested definitions.

- I used the terms Organization and Enterprise, and Martin asked for definitions.  I found a useful definition of Organization* but nothing satisfying for Enterprise.  Any suggestions.
  * Organization -- A specific real-world assemblage of people and other resources organized for an on-going purpose.

- Michael talked about services and applications, and I have never seen a good definition of Application when the discussion is on Services.  Any satisfying definitions for Application?

As for composability, a service may interact with another service as part of following a business process.  The idea of composability is to be able to concentrate on the higher level process and not the details of subprocesses that might make use of other services.  This is where opacity comes into play.  Yes, there are dependencies, but I believe there may also be dependencies for “applications”.  It is up to the provider to manage dependencies, and a consumer should doubt an SLA unless there is some proof, e.g. the provider has historically met SLAs and history is still a valid predicted of the future.

In general, I’ll stick by sections 3.3.1 and 4.3.5 of the SOA-RAF.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379