Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Wednesday topics (highlight REST)

Ken, all-- I am in a cyber conference tomorrow (Wed) all day, so will not be able to participate in the TC call.

Martin

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:39 PM, Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org> wrote:
I am behind in responding to some of our work in progress, partly because new challenges continue to arise.  Martin raised the question about microservices.  I have day job interest in using RESTful services, but the challenge is to understand what constitutes a beneficial use of the REST paradigm vs. just using a URL to tunnel through HTTP.

I raised some of these questions during an Amazon Web Services brief and the following is some material sent my way on these topics.

Here is an AWS article that discusses the concepts I was talking about using Lambda to run a micro service architecture instead of setting up servers to run your architecture.

SquirrelBin: A Serverless Microservice Using AWS Lambda
--------------------

This is a discussion of how Netflix morphed from a private datacenter based monolithic application into a cloud based micro service architecture with high redundancy on AWS:

AWS re:Invent 2014 | (PFC304) Interprocess Comms in Cloud: Pros, Cons of Microservices Architectures
--------------------

This reinvent video discusses another commercial organization making this change as well (Nike).

AWS re:Invent 2014 | (ARC308) Nike's Journey into Microservices

--------------------

Here is a presentation deck for an interesting discussion on the subject that was done at one of the AWS User groups last year.
--------------------

Very good article discussing a move from a standard architecture to micro-services based development
--------------------

Another good articles discussing how to use containers to build micro services

--------------------

This discusses using AWS OPSWorks to create a micro service architecture in AWS

--------------------

Here is an AWS whitepaper that discusses using Linux containers to deploy micro services using Docker.

I haven’t gone through nearly enough of this, so I encourage others to do a little reading and seeing where you find goodness.

Still interest in the SOA ontology and working on an update from William.

Dial-in information available on request.  That will be coming out tonight or tomorrow.

*** remember, meeting time is 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM ET ***

Talk with you tomorrow.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379

Martin F Smith, Principal
BFC Consulting, LLC
McLean, Va 22102
703 506-0159