Subject: Re: [soa-rm] compiling questions on micro services and SOA

Ken, all--

I am still interested in overview stuff:

1.  who uses MS? (profile of typical MS developer)

2. what are the main motivations/benefits (vs. alternatives.)

3. How is re-use achieved (and by this I mean "efficiency" -- more value created per unit of developer/maintenance effort)  Or maybe re-use is not a key issue, vs "custom fit" to a single business customer?

4. What is the relationship between a container and a MS service? (The NIST draft seem to imply MS are used only in containers)

5. Compared with in-process communication between components or objects or functions, isn't there a high comms overhead via external (to process) interactions between a MS and other parts of an application?  Is so, why isn't that an issue?

6. Assuming MS is "re-used" by copying MS code into multiple applications (vs sharing a single instance of the service), doesn't that make it hard to keep all the copies updated in synch?  Perhaps "re-use by code copying" is not in fact typical; or perhaps there are tools in the DevOps toolbox to handle this config-control challenge?

7. Would our guest care to comment on the NIST draft or the OMG paper, or both?

and finally--

8. How does MSA relate to so-called "serverless" app development? Complementary? Alternatives? [Asking this because I just today created my first --completely trivial -- "serverless" function using AWS' Lambda service.]

So, I realize this is more than my share of questions so feel free to drop any that don't seem important to others.

Thanks for setting this up!

Martin