Subject: Re: [soa-rm] The Hidden Dividends of Microservices - ACM Queue

Ken,
you have spoted abig BS.

"- Such services are typically simple" - this is an uninformed speculation. With Microservices, we have no clue what is behanind them (I can call a rotten redish a peach-API). In reality, here is a significant mistake - we talk about _API_ "are typically simple".

About application - this is going without saying - a service's crap.

I do not follow this: "
You're probably not doing microservices if:
• Services share a persistence store.
"
No, normal 'SOA services' do not share persistence stores - this is the job for Data Access Services. 'SOA services' may not share persistence stores becuase of the Principle of Compsability and the risk of "coupling by implementation".

Regards,
- Michael

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:27 PM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: "Martin Smith" <bfc.mclean@gmail.com>
Cc: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>, "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>
A number of interesting points but not a lot here that I haven’t seen elsewhere and not any questions answered that I haven’t had elsewhere.

But a few particular (some old) questions:

- what are “hardened APIs”?  (I’m nit picking on this one unless someone has a significant answer to make me smarter.)

Such services are typically simple, yet they can be composed into very rich and elaborate applications.
Does this mean that the only way to combine microservices is through an “application” that calls individual microservices and you can’t have a microservice calling other microservices?  We still have an unclear definition and characteristic interactions between “(micro)services” and “applications”.  This eventually gets to the reuse questions.

You're probably not doing microservices if:
• Services share a persistence store.
But this tells me nothing about how two (micro)services that must make consistent use of data — or even just informational use — will share that data.  Transaction will have eventual consistency (which may be good enough) but how about if I just need to use your name in several places?

I’d be happy to schedule time to discuss this at our next meeting.

Ken

P.S. A longer (but not difficult) read I’d recommend is still “Building Microservices” by Sam Newman.
Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508