Subject: Re: RE: RE: [soa-rm] Fwd: The Hidden Dividends of Microservices - ACM Queue

Bob, as kids say, 'I was not first who started this...' I did not say that Microservices is a flavour of SOA, even that they are good for SOA implementation. They are good for highly distributed component architecture with multiple ownership model. Does this mean to be at odds? Not in my opinion, simply, everyone has to mind the business it has been designed for :-)

The problem is in "...it is functionality … the interfaces (APIs) merely expose the high-level functionality in (business-)usable ways". Microservices expose functionality exactly in the same way as Web Services do, i.e. they want and pretend to be the one who exposing this functionality but they have a wrong attribute-set for this. The only they have is a _name_ of the interface with no evidences or liability to the consumer that they do what they name states. SOA Service do all - the name, the description, the promise and legal liability for this promise. To achieve this, SOA Services must rid of technology anchor and operate above technology interfaces. Microservices as well as Wen Services cannot and do not do this.

"... an efficient mix of team organization, design methodology, development methodology, and deployment methodology" this matches 1:1 what was said and done with Wen Services. After 9 years, the industry recognised that what Web Services really deliver is a standardised method of integration (including related "team organization, design methodology, development methodology, and deployment methodology") , no one bit more.

Microservices is nothing more than a new dress for the same technology integration, de facto. Thanks God, developers have learnt (for these 16 years) that 'integration' is not a word decision-makers would pay for and the word has been changed to 'functionality'. Nonetheless, when developers hit the wall again (like Web Services in 2009 when they were pronounced dead) because functionality is still not enough - the business value is in the business transactions, which Microservices boxed in and as technology, cannot provide, developers will figure out another word. Why so? Because technology itself cannot provide business transactions, it can only support or enable business transactions. This is why the SOA RAF states that SO Ecosystem crosses the boundary between technology and business and situates in both realms. This is a deep philosophical uncovery made by this specification.

Regards,
- Michael

Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 5:42 AM
From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: "Mike Poulin" <mpoulin@usa.com>
Cc: "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Mike,

I think we’re speaking different languages (not maliciously): I am trying to speak the language of those who actually implement what they call microservices today … you might be speaking the language of SOA advocates (of which I am also one) … the two need not be at odds, at least on many aspects of solution design, development, and deployment.

However, what the currently successful advocates of microservices package is not interfaces … it is functionality … the interfaces (APIs) merely expose the high-level functionality in

(business-)usable ways. The value they perceive in the packaging construct they call microservices is more aligned with what they see as an efficient mix of team organization, design methodology, development methodology, and deployment methodology as it is to any purist notion of software architecture. That those aspects have secondary effects on software architecture that might bend or break some SOA  is, in their view, a reasonable trade-off for the practical value derived.

That, at least, is the understanding I am taking away from observing those that are doing it successfully and a highly critical reading of the “mass market” writing about microservices (which requires a great deal of pruning and normalizing, in my judgement).

Avanti,

BobN