Subject: Re: [soa-rm] compact blurbs on microservices

Really I find these definitions more and more confusing and apparently inconsistent.

Surely all "components" (which have been around forever) are not "microservices."

And I didn't necessarily think all MS only used RESTful protocols.

And I surely didn't get the idea from NIST and prior work that MS were designed so that "any application can use [them}."  Rather the opposite, in fact: several other sources touted the benefits of an MS having a single business-function customer for which it is optimized. And multiple sources seemed to imply that MS were typically/exclusively used within a single application container.

And finally I am rather skeptical that all or most MS maintenance can be done safely without coordination and testing with other components of the overall application:  just because an API looks the same doesn't mean that the the algorithm that generates the MS' output has not changed in a way that affects the validity of the data generated or the performance (response-time) of the MS.  (This might be also said of over-enthusiastic advocacy for encapsulation generally.)

Martin