Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Are API gateways the new ESB?

This topic led me to yet more reading, specifically NGINX articles supporting their API Gateway product line. In their Introduction to Microservices, https://www.nginx.com/blog/introduction-to-microservices/?utm_source=building-microservices-using-an-api-gateway&utm_medium=blog they say this:

... On the surface, the Microservices Architecture pattern is similar to SOA. With both approaches, the architecture consists of a set of services. However, one way to think about the Microservices Architecture pattern is that it’s SOA without the commercialization and perceived baggage of web service specifications (WS-*) and an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). Microservice-based applications favor simpler, lightweight protocols such as REST, rather than WS-*. They also very much avoid using ESBs and instead implement ESB-like functionality in the microservices themselves. The Microservices Architecture pattern also rejects other parts of SOA, such as the concept of a canonical schema..."

I don't recall specifying WS-* or a canonical schema, but I did find their decomposition of the Microservices Architecture in their diagrams quite apt. However, since the the following article in their series, Building Microservices Using an API Gateway, https://www.nginx.com/blog/building-microservices-using-an-api-gateway/ concludes that

"...For most microservices‑based applications, it makes sense to implement an API Gateway, which acts as a single entry point into a system. The API Gateway is responsible for request routing, composition, and protocol translation. It provides each of the application’s clients with a custom API. The API Gateway can also mask failures in the backend services by returning cached or default data...." I suspect that API Gateways are very much like ESBs were. I have yet to read all of their articles, but I look forward to reading Event-Driven Data Management for Microservices https://www.nginx.com/blog/event-driven-data-management-microservices/?utm_source=building-microservices-using-an-api-gateway&utm_medium=blog

Rex