Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Are API gateways the new ESB?

Just finished NGINX reading for today. Too much to absorb especially after the Fowler materil from last session.

Will respond more later.

Rex

On 11/23/2016 2:18 PM, Ken Laskey wrote:
What I see the API Gateway providing:
- a registry of APIs ala UDDI, with equally sparse descriptions
- messaging middleware that was repackaged for ESBs and can be repackaged again
- integrated monitoring that is necessary if you can manage to figure out what to monitor and what to do with the data you gather
- a central point for security that hopefully will be consistently applied and maintained.

Vendors are marketing single API Gateway products that bundle the things you need but often have terrible discussions of what you need to build and where is real value vs. recycled jargon.

Major point is an API is an interface description and, much as we tried to get across in the SOA RM when we distinguished between the underlying capability and the access to that capability, without the capability, there is no service.  An interface to nothing is nothing, and usually an expensive nothing.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508