Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA-MSA Side-by-Side Notes

Indeed, an nteresting comment.

The presented share/non-share notion is quite erroneous, IMO.

SOA is not about sharing (which in my interpretation is having something and sharing it with others); it is about cooperating as much as possible with other services in solving tasks, i.e. the only shared thing here is the task. Anything that a service owns cannot be shared (not even "share-as-little-as-possible") becuase of the SO Composability Principle at least.

Also, I think that an individual microservice should not share anything as well (becuase of the risk of coupling and limitations  of its usage limitations  in an application). At the same time, the MS-based applications do share used libraries and microservices. As a result, if we have 2 of such applications and they share A microservice, a change of this A microservice for the sake of one application immediately impacts another one. This is a beared problem of code reuse in any programming development - the more reuse, the more coupling.

In order to avoid coupling-by-implementation in SO Ecosystem, I  proposed (about 7 years ago) a service development principle known as DOSOM where the design of a service starts with 4 steps:
1) define functionality to be provided;
2) define RWE for particular EC;
3) define service execution boundaries;
4) define the service inputs.
The service execution boundaries prohibit any references to or invocations of the environmnet elements (other services) other than through the service's public interfaces and predefined invocation listeners (to the suppliers). This is where design and implementation of services in SO Ecosystem differes from the MS and MS-based applications.

- Michael

Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:39 AM
From: rexbroo <rexb@starbourne.com>
To: "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [soa-rm] SOA-MSA Side-by-Side Notes

Came across this in reading the Mark Richards' Microservices vs. SOA book and it struck me as particularly apt:

"SOA is built on the concept of a share-as-much-as-possible architecture style, whereas microservices architecture is built on the concept of a share-as-little-as-possible architecture style."

I will continue posting nuggets for the side-by-side comparison as I come across them.

Rex
--
Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design