Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Re: more on API Gateways

Hi Martin,

To the best of my understanding, MSA is not primarily motivated by reuse. [That does not mean that some microservices cannot be reused in some scenarios.] It's mostly a packaging construct to facilitate the full DevOps lifecycle by multiple development teams working on a single (or single set of) "enterprise" applications (where "enterprise" should be interpreted very broadly).

The packaging construct view of MSA that sees individual microservice development as part of a broader enterprise application is precisely tuned to separate team development of each microservice contributing to the app ... where "team" will tend to refer to something like the Agile teams in the Team Level of the Scaled Agile Framework (http://www.scaledagileframework.com/agile-teams/) ... this is an essential aspect in realizing the full DevOps lifecycle process model.

Again, the foregoing just represents my understanding ... I pull it mostly from (limited) observation of what the hyperscale CSPs are doing with MSA in practice, which is sometimes "crisper" than much of the "trade press" type writing on MSA and sometimes differs from what the rising MSA tool vendors are saying in their marketing literature ... so, I won't be surprised if the eventual end result is different from my current understanding.

Avanti,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Martin F Smith, BFC Consulting
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:09 PM
To: Laskey, Ken <klaskey@mitre.org>; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

On 2/16/2017 9:59 PM, Ken Laskey wrote:
> each service knows the next service in the pipeline and choreography
> is used for control.

Umm . .  knows how? Control by what?  Sounds like a reference to another infrastructure tool for choreography.

Plus, this strongly suggest very close coordination among the developers of the MS that make up an app. On the one hand, that's not surprising in that MSA seems not to be aimed at re-use of a MS by multiple application or across enterprises. On the other hand, it seems to undercut one of the "principles" we ran across earlier, i.e., that MS lets each development team operate very independently. The statement above seems to imply a significant body of shared knowledge of the overall application and agreement on constraints imposed by the application's overall flow.

Martin