Subject: Use Case 2.0 article

At this week's TC meeting I mention this article from the May 2016 issue of the Communicatons of the ACM.

The particular point I mentioned was a conclusion about when to use light-weight (agile) requirements methodologies (using "stories" as the _expression_ of requirements) vs more formal requirements approaches (using "use-cases" to express requirements.) I thought the same consideration might apply to the whole devops/MSA approach vs. more traditional SDLC approaches. Here's what the article said:

" The question remains: Which technique should you use that is very context dependent, once you go beyond personal preferences? Consider the following factors: how much access is there to the SMEs (subject matter experts); and how severe will requirements errors be if they escape to a live environment.

The sweet spot for user stories is achieved when there is easy access to a SME and the severity of errors is low. Use cases and use-case slices are more suitable when there is no easy access to a SME or when error consequences are high.  "

The full article is pretting interesting, too, but access to it requires an ACM membership or subscription to CACM. Here's the link to the abstract and to the full article  in case you are an ACM member or wish to be one!

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/5/201604-use-case-2-0/abstract

Regards,

Martin

--