Subject: Re: [soa-rm] follow-up on RedHat discussion on microservices, etc.

I think we are arriving at the point where we see

  • the progression of working/teaming moving from Waterfall/Monolith toward agile/lean/devops continuous delivery pipeline as one thread,
  • the progression from o-o programming through  enterprise-level SOA through to containerized MSA as another thread,
  • the progression of computing platforms from mainframes and enterprise-level installations to collections of microcomputers to hybrid networks through to the cloud as a third thread, and
  • the progression of execution context from centralized relational highly consistent SQL datastores to more decentralized NoSQL eventually consistent datastores with greater flexibility, faster throughput and higher availability at some risk,

and I think we have the basics covered.

But what do we make of it? And how do we boil it down to a coherent set of heuristics for how you analyze and deconstruct business problems to fit all four of these threads together? And how do we make it work for us in a solution set that is doable, reliable and as consistent as you can make it, given a certain unavoidable level of risk?

Sheesh! No problem!

Rex