Subject: Re: [soa-rm] follow-up on RedHat discussion on microservices, etc.

Michael,

I’m a bit confused.  The SOA-RAF discusses service description and the service interface is one aspect of the service that needs to be described.  Neither the SOA-RM nor the SOA-RAF talks about identifying the technical scope of a service, and this is something added by the microservice concept.

Ken

On Apr 26, 2017, at 8:40 AM, Mike Poulin <mpoulin@usa.com> wrote:

I do not understand 'API may be implemented' via SOA. Services in SOA supersede API in all aspects; APIs do not have many architectural and operational aspects that Services have. API/MS represent a next level of development maturity when an interface is finally accompanies with 'wordsabout business functionality but still lacks a mechanism of linking between Interface - the entity that exposes this interface and reprinting an access to the capability - agreement with the consumer on the terms of this access.

Michael

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:54 AM
From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: "Laskey, Ken" <klaskey@mitre.org>, "Mike Poulin" <mpoulin@usa.com>
Cc: "Martin Smith" <bfc.mclean@gmail.com>, "<rexb@starbourne.com>" <rexb@starbourne.com>, "soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org" <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>

Ken wrote: “Personally, I do not think microservices and APIs are the same thing.  An API is an interface, sometimes for a microservice, sometimes not.  Also, the (micro)service accessed by an API represents access to some functionality; you still need the “underlying capability” discussed in the SOA-RM.”

I definitely agree with that … in fact, a given API could be implemented via MSA, SOA, WS, or monolithic application architectures, etc., to offer the functionality of the ”underlying capability”.

Or so it seems to me,

BobN