Subject: Evolutionary Architecture at Amazon (2002)

This from The DevOps Handbook, Kim, et al.

One of the most studied architecture transformations occurred at Amazon. In an interview with ACM Turing Award-winner and Microsoft Technical Fellow Jim Gray, Amazon CTO Werner Vogels explains that Amazon.com started in 1996 as a “monolithic application, running on a web server, talking to a database on the back end. This application, dubbed Obidos, evolved to hold all the business logic, all the display logic, and all the functionality that Amazon eventually became famous for: similarities, recommendations, Listmania, reviews, etc.”

As time went by, Obidos grew too tangled, with complex sharing relationships meaning individual pieces could not be scaled as needed. Vogels tells Gray that this meant “many things that you would like to see happening in a good software environment couldn’t be done anymore; there were many complex pieces of software combined into a single system. It couldn’t evolve anymore.”

Describing the thought process behind the new desired architecture, he tells Gray, “We went through a period of serious introspection and concluded that a service-oriented architecture would give us the level of isolation that would allow us to build many software components rapidly and independently.”

Vogels notes, “The big architectural change that Amazon went through in the past five years [from 2001–2005] was to move from a two-tier monolith to a fully-distributed, decentralized, services platform serving many different applications. A lot of innovation was necessary to make this happen, as we were one of the first to take this approach.” The lessons from Vogel’s experience at Amazon that are important to our understanding of architecture shifts include the following:

  • Lesson 1: When applied rigorously, strict service orientation is an excellent technique to achieve isolation; you achieve a level of ownership and control that was not seen before.
  • Lesson 2: Prohibiting direct database access by clients makes performing scaling and reliability improvements to your service state possible without involving your clients.
  • Lesson 3: Development and operational process greatly benefits from switching to service-orientation. The services model has been a key enabler in creating teams that can innovate quickly with a strong customer focus. Each service has a team associated with it, and that team is completely responsible for the service—from scoping out the functionality to architecting, building, and operating it.

The extent to which applying these lessons enhances developer productivity and reliability is breathtaking. In 2011, Amazon was performing approximately fifteen thousands deployments per day. By 2015, they were performing nearly 136,000 deployments per day.

Although not stated here, I think the progression went from monolith to services as we speak about in the SOA sense to microservices/DevOps.  If that is accurate, then there would have been a reuse period, and it would be interesting to see what changes in thinking and implementation they went through now that they are fully embracing DevOps.

Anyone have any insight or contacts we can trace down?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H330          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-7996