Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Interesting info - technology disruption is being hit back by business disappointment

There will be a long email coming shortly that responds to Michael’s email from last week.  We had a family vacation in New York City and I had time on the train between NYC and DC to catch up and reread more of the SOA-RM.

I haven’t read this article yet but a point always emphasized in following Lean, Agile, DevOps, … is a need for change in culture.  You can’t expect to see the benefits if you cling to the processes that run counter to the paradigm you propose to adopt.  Part of the new culture is minimizing time from problem to solution, having frequent delivery of value, and getting frequent feedback from those supposedly realizing value to say whether there is indeed value being delivered.  Note all this can be enabled by software but the principles are business oriented and not exclusively software.  There should also be an emphasis on “retrospective" to consider why things are working or not and “blameless post-mortems” to identify what has gone wrong and to modify processes so something bad doesn’t recur.

As we saw with ESBs and UDDI, throwing expensive software at a problem doesn’t guarantee a solution.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H330          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-7996
McLean VA 22102-7508