Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Interesting info - technology disruption is being hit back by business disappointment

Ken,

technology is good as its purposes for the use are good. If technology does not know what business rules to follow or does not want to follow them and does not offer new ones, this technology has to be kept in laboratories and not confuse business organisations until it matures. Whatever "Making data more accessible is a technology advance" appears immaterial if business gets more problems with this accessibility. IMHO, making technological assumptions and decisions about business is a technology's mistake.

On a bit separate note, it has been accepted in the US and EU that final recognition of people ownership on thier data (GDPR) will dramatically change the landscape and directions of technology evolution (up to 75% of American businesses do not recognise this threat to thier well-being).

Regards,
- Michael

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: "Mike Poulin" <mpoulin@usa.com>
Cc: rexb@starbourne.com, soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Michael,

As you note, the problem isn’t really the technology but deciding the business rules the technology is to implement.  Making data more accessible is a technology advance that makes the business issue more visible and critical to resolve.  The technology can help with implementing the business rules but, as we emphasized in the SOA-RM, there is no service if there is no underlying capability that embodies a solution.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H330          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-7996
McLean VA 22102-7508