Subject: Re: [soa-rm] The hardest part of microservices is your data

As you probably have noticed, that guy running the presentation in Youtube admitted he was a 'bit creazy'...

Yes, your data is the hardest part of Microservices in the same way as it a hardest  way to take off your pants over your head.

Microservices are used mostly in 'pure' Web style (if you practice a releagion, you do not need to look into rational), i.e. Microservices are designed with the RESTful interfaces. The biggest challenge of REST design is to express business functionality or value via limited set of HTTP commands and contra-comprehensive URL elements presenting nouns. One has a primitive logic used to express data via nouns only in the requests, another has more laconic expressions. This creates a lot of confusions, e.g. does "www.whatever.com/ticket/12" mean 12 tickets or the 12th ticket? Or, if I use "GET" message I request "www.whatever.com/ticket/12", but if I use "PUT" message it may be 'store' or 'send' or 'print' or whatever.

Yes, WS require more verbose communication than REST, but we deal with BUSINESS logic using Mictoservices, not with remote database drivers where REST is suitable the most. My take is idiots should be punished for making life more difficult to others. I fully focuse on defining requirements to Microservices and related test cases in the way that implement a verb via noun becomes quite a challenge. When developers come back to talk about the problems, I am telling them that there are many techniques how to define interfaces and they are not SW engineers if they cannot find the right one for the task. This works for the majority, others go away.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
- Michael

Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 2:57 AM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Posting to list but thinking Rex probably has a better handle on this than most of us.  (Or Rex knows enough more than me that I still find this magic.)

In any case, I came across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrV0DqTqpFU and the title is the subject of this email.

Does this answer some of the questions we’ve had about keeping data synched across microservices and some global ides of consistency?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H330          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-7996