Subject: Heuristics

Don't you just hate it when your brain freezes while trying to recall a word? Icouldn't recall the word I wanted to dscribe a rule of thumb today as we were dscussing criteria for certain decsions or choices between/amngst Waterfall/Agile/Scaled Agile Framework methodologies for teams of managers and dvelopers. Heuristics came to me as soon as I hung up the darn phone.

From Wikpedia for the general term:

"A heuristic technique (/hjʊəˈrɪstɪk/; Ancient Greek: εὑρίσκω, "find" or "discover"), often called simply a heuristic, is any approach to problem solving, learning, or discovery that employs a practical method not guaranteed to be optimal or perfect, but sufficient for the immediate goals. Where finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical, heuristic methods can be used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution. Heuristics can be mental shortcuts that ease the cognitive load of making a decision. Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, guesstimate, stereotyping, profiling, or common sense."

From Wikpedia for the computer science term:

"In computer science, artificial intelligence, and mathematical optimization, a heuristic (from Greek εὑρίσκω "I find, discover") is a technique designed for solving a problem more quickly when classic methods are too slow, or for finding an approximate solution when classic methods fail to find any exact solution. This is achieved by trading optimality, completeness, accuracy, or precision for speed. In a way, it can be considered a shortcut.

A heuristic function, also called simply a heuristic, is a function that ranks alternatives in search algorithms at each branching step based on available information to decide which branch to follow. For example, it may approximate the exact solution.[1]

For my $.02 we're assembling a set of heruristics for chossing MSA or SOA solutions and Waterfall vs. Agile/DevOps methodologies balancing considerations of budget, time, requirements, etc.

Cheers,
Rex