Subject: non-meeting [was: [soa-rm] agenda for SOA-RM 20180228: discussion with NGINX]

The call is still on as previously scheduled but this will not be an official OASIS SOA-RM TC meeting in order to avoid IPR issues as Chet describes below.  If I forget, please remind me to state this at the beginning of the meeting.

Thanks to Chet for the reminder.

Ken

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Date: February 27, 2018 at 9:49:54 AM EST
To: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>

Hi Ken,

Is NGINX an OASIS member? I don't find an entry for them in our database.

I'm sure you know but just a reminder that non-members may not join TC meetings. This is because of the IPR mode and contribution commitments made by all members when they join the group.

If you want to share information like that, what you need to do is treat it like an informal info-gathering session that TC members are welcome to attend if they are interested. Just like you might have an open Birds of a Feather gathering at an industry event. There is no expectation or confusion that NGINX is "contributing" anything to the TC or that the TC can use anything discussed.

By the way, this isn't hypothetical. There is another TC that allowed non-members to attend meetings for a while unbeknownst to OASIS staff and then some stuff they brought to the table ended up in a published document and those non-members came back and made claims. It was before my time but apparently, it got rather messy.

So in a case like this, for your own protection, make it informal: not on the calendar, not organized as a TC meeting, no minutes taken, no actions taken, no quorum, etc. etc. Just 'hey, a few of us are getting together with these folks, any of you are welcome to join in' and then, at the meeting itself, probably best to declare right from the start that nothing taking place in the meeting is governed by OASIS rules or the TC's IPR mode.

Thanks - let me know if you have any questions.

/chet