Subject: SOA and microservices

This article

https://searchmicroservices.techtarget.com/tip/5-basic-SOA-principles-that-still-apply-to-microservices?src="">

is dated October 2018 and we may have seen it before but it runs into our own discussions of SOA compared to microservices.  My main heartburn with this article (as with many others like it) is SOA is defined as SOAP-UDDI-BPEL and thus the major differences with microservices.  This ignores our previous points that SOAP was the big, central infrastructure approach that lost the battle with REST, and a RESTful approach is as much SOA as SOAP.  Strip that away and the main difference is improved technology that empowers the kind of flexibility we always talked about but werenât always able to pull off.

I still think the major difference is SOA was use a component (through an API) where it lives without having a private copy whereas microservices have containers to give you that private copy.

Thoughts?

Dial-in info for this week will be coming shortly.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H330          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-7996