stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] straw man metadata

Standards Registry participants:

Here's a straw man proposal for a metadata. (This is pretty much the
same as I sent out in an earlier email.)

This proposal is based heavily on the NSSN registry hosted by ANSI
(www.nssn.org), which uses the ISO ICS classification
(www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueListPage.CatalogueList). The top portion
describes the standards development organization (SDO) and the bottom
portion describes each current effort or completed specification. The
idea is to have the simplest set of fields that will usefully describe
standards development efforts and completed specifications.

SDO name
SDO acronym
SDO address
SDO phone
SDO fax
SDO E-mail
SDO URL
SDO Contact

SDO acronym (a relational link to the SDO info above)
SDO's Committee/subcommittee/working group
Committee's URL
Committee Contact name
Document title
Document number
Scope/abstract/problem space
Taxonomy/classification (ICS?)
Keywords
Current status
   (proposed | in progress | prelim. approval | final approval)
Project initiation date
Approval date
Referenced standards
Equivalent standards
Superceded standards
Previous versions
Format
Price
Available from

Since I first sent out this proposed metadata, I've received a few
comments:

- A suggestion that the four generic status stages be called: new work
item proposal, draft preparation stage, awiting formal approval, and
published specification

- A suggestion that we need to define or select a set of keywords, just
as we define or select a taxonomy

- A question wether ICS is really the best classification scheme.
Can/does it cover new, popular topics such as e-business and web
services without just lumping everything into the single IT category?

- A suggestion that we take advantage of Dublin Core for ontologies of
document properties and VCard for contact information

- A suggestion that we rely on recommendations for registry metadata
from ISO 11179

- A suggestion that we look at the DAML.org website for a registry of
ontologies

- A suggestion that we look at what has been done at Diffuse.org

- A question about what syntax to use for the metadata, whether XML,
UML, some database schema, or other

I think that these are all good questions and suggestions, and should be
considered by the committee.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations