stdsreg message

Subject: Re: [stdsreg] committee introductions

Introductions:

Eric E. Cohen

XBRL.org
www.xbrl.org

My day is spent with XBRL.org, the 170+ member consortium building
consensus-based vocabularies for financial and business reporting (hence
Extensible Business Reporting Language). XBRL is unique in creating agreed
upon vocabularies where publishers can provide greater levels of detail
that set out in the published schemas for sharing within smaller groups,
while information can be summarized and understood at greater levels of
summarization by the greater group. The intellectual information agreed
upon by the members can be reused by any other group that needs to include
financial and business reporting concepts within their own schemas and
standards.

One of my official roles in the consortium is the chief architect of the
Ledger Taxonomy, XBRL General Ledger. This is an XML-based, extensible
representation of the information found in a typical accounting package. I
am also the Director of Hacker Relations (aka Tools Chair).

I act as liaison to many groups with which XBRL.org has an ongoing
relationship, and in particular the UN/CEFACT EDIFACT D14 group.

XBRL.org is one of the organizers of the Interoperability Summit series. We
support collaboration, sharing knowledge and resources and interoperability
for the greater public good. We look forward to sharing and learning from
other groups. A particular interoperability interest of mine is moving
forward XML Signature and XML Encryption to help promote both safe transfer
of business reporting information and to move forward new service
opportunities for organizations involved in providing assurance on business
reporting documents - file assurance, document assurance, and including a
new capability facilitated by XML and XML Signature called "Data Level
Assurance".

Eric E. Cohen
PricewaterhouseCoopers
1100 Bausch & Lomb Place