stdsreg message

Subject: RE: [stdsreg] committee introductions

Title: RE: [stdsreg] committee introductions

My name is Theresa Zuraski and I am Vice President, Standards, for the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI).  AAMI is a leading developer of national (US) and international (IEC and ISO) standards for medical devices. Our program consists of over 2000 experts from industry, the health care professions, academia, and government who serve on one or more of the 160 national and international technical committees, subcommittees, working groups, and technical advisory groups that are administered by AAMI with support from 6 standards coordinators.  Our international work includes adminstration of the Secretariats of four ISO committees/subcommittees and two IEC subcommittees on behalf of ANSI or its US National Committee as well as one IEC-related and seven ISO-related U.S. Technical Advisory Groups.

Part of my work is to oversee AAMI's standards project database and areas of the AAMI website having to do with standards, including a searchable database of final documents and projects under development. I also oversee a web area ("Committee Central") that we use to distribute documents to committee members as well as to provide certain types of information about our committees to the general public.  I am also active in ANSI, with current assignments including Chair of the ANSI Medical Device Standards Board, Vice Chair of the ANSI Organizational Member Council, and member of the ANSI Board of Directors, International Committee, and National Issues Committee.

As a standards developer and membership association, we are interested in projects such as the Standards Registry on a couple of levels. First, we see it as possibly helping us to attract more volunteers to our development efforts, which is always a challenge, particularly with respect to users. Secondly, it could help avoid duplication of work.  Third, it would be helpful to our members, which includes industry, hospitals, and government, in finding out what standards are available in a more efficient manner. Last but not least, it has some potential for boosting our final document sales.