stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] CEN/ISSS statement

CEN is the European Standards Committee, one of three regional formal
standards organizations in Europe:  our members are the national standards
bodies in EU and EFTA member states, plus the Czech Republic and Malta;  our
counterpart globally is ISO, with whom we collaborate closely under
agreement.

CEN's Information Society Standardization System (CEN/ISSS) is the CEN
department dealing with ICT issues.  It provides a platform for
consensus-building including formal standards and also consensus documents
prepared in open Workshops and published as CEN Workshop Agreements.
CEN/ISSS works closely with the other two regional standards organizations,
CENELEC (electro-technical) and ETSI (telecommunications and related areas),
as well as with bodies such as UN/ECE (in relation to EDI/e-business
issues).

Our objective in participation is to seek to improve information to the user
community (in the very broadest sense) on the activities and outputs of
industry standards consortia, as this information is badly lacking.  We have
maintained a list of links to consortia in the ICT field for some time, and
are seeking to enhance the information it contains.  We see this initiative
as potentially a valuable contribution to a coherent approach, and one
steps towards a more co-operative environment, whilst not seeking to
interfere with the right of market players to reach their own consensus on
standards issues.

Best regards
John Ketchell
Director, CEN/ISSS - Information Society Standardization System

URL:http://www.cenorm.be/isss

Rue de Stassart, 36	email (direct) john.ketchell@cenorm.be
B-1050 Brussels	email (secretariat) isss@cenorm.be
Belgium	                        Tel (direct) + 32 2 550 08 46
Fax + 32 2 550 09 66	Tel (secretariat) + 32 2 550 08 13
Tel (GSM) +32 475 594 828