stdsreg message

Subject: Re: [stdsreg] Metadata Standard v2.5

Bob et al

Designator is only allowed Once, yet there are many standards with different
ISO and ITU designators, but otherwise identical. (Such standards may also
have more than one Identifier!)

Should we require that Referenced Standards entries be entered as sets of
Identifiers? The alternatives seem to be Designation and Title, one of which
is optional and the other long but mandatory. Should we make Identifier
mandatory? Or should we assign records some form of mandatory "key" which
can be used in Referenced Standards?

Replaces gives us another problem. If standard XYZ 1234:2003 replaces
XYZ:1234:1999 without a change of title what do we reference? Is the date a
required part of the Designator, or of the identifier? (The use of record
keys would cover this, but would need another stage before the information
can be understood by users.)

SDO can only occur Once. Shared standards have to have thier SDOs entered in
a single entry, where the order could differ depending on who entered it.
This will make it difficult to obtain lists of standards for specific SDOs,
or lists for combinations of SDOs. It would be better to allow this field to
be repeated, one SDO per organization. (There are standards that start with
one organization and then get fast-tracked by another organization so that
this field grows with time!)

Martin Bryan