stdsreg message

Subject: RE: [stdsreg] some thoughts on the future direction of StdsReg

Thanks for this, Karl.

With regard to identifying SDOs, we have been working on developing a
comprehensive SDOs database for the NSSN which could be a great starting
point for the comprehensive list of SDOs.  This takes into account the
CEN/ISS list and others.  As Em pointed out at the Interop Summit, we need
to get to the middle level people - the ones who deal with the metadata on a
day-to-day basis.  It's still on my list to give a status report to ANSI
SDOs via our Organization Member Council and other ANSI governance bodies.

Regarding ANSI hosting the StndsReg site, I've spoken to our IT Director and
I'll soon get your IT people in touch with ours to work on the details.

Regards,
Bob H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 9:08 AM
To: stdsreg

For the past couple of days I've been at the Interoperability Summit
in Orlando, where I presented, together with Bob Hager, the status of
the StdsReg project. I also had the chance to chat with Makx Dekkers
and Em delaHostria, a couple of our StdsReg participants who were in
attendence.

After these chats and further thinking prompted by some of the
discussions and presentations at the meeting, I've been trying to come
up with some ideas regarding our future direction. We're nearing
completion of the StdsReg metadata spec (many thanks to Bob, Makx, and
others who have contributed technically), and should start thinking
about where we're going from here.

(I'm sending these ideas out via this email list to prompt some
discussion; our meeting attendence has been dropping, and I'd like to
get some input from those of you on the list who haven't been able to
attend lately. Please consider this an invitation to respond to and
discuss these topics.)

I propose that as soon as we have a final draft we feel comfortable
with that we send it out for public review. The goal of the review is
to find out if the spec will adequately describe the work of SDOs.
Therefore, the audience for this review is SDOs, and not vendors. As
such, we need to compile a list of SDOs and contact information for
the appropriate person at each SDO. I will need help from all of you
in compiling this list. I'm aware of a couple lists of SDOs (e.g. at
CEN/ISSS) but don't know of any that include contact information.

After sending out the spec for review, getting feedback, evaulating
this feedback and using it to improve the spec, then giving final
approval to the spec by this committee, we will still have two tasks
ahead of us: first, promoting the adoption of the spec, and second,
(optionally) seeking to have the spec approved by some SDO.

For the first, how do we promote the adoption of the spec by
organizations that currently, or could potentially in the future, list
standards information? We already have interested organizations
represented within our commmittee (ANSI, CEN, OASIS, Diffuse) that
have committed to or will probably implement the spec. How do we
promote its use at other organizations?

And for the second, do we see the need for approval of the spec by an
SDO? I suspect that this would be useful in driving the adoption of
the spec, but which SDO should we submit to?

Related to that is the standing of our currently ad hoc committee.
Should this committee seek to become part of an SDO, or are we happy
remaining independent, with our own process and with no IP protection?
I have resisted suggestions coming from within my own organization
that StdsReg should become an OASIS technical committee on the grounds
that that would require you all to join OASIS in order to participate.
Is there an organization that we could (or should!) belong to that
would allow open participation, provide us with IP protection, and
provide a path for approval of the spec by some (de juere?) SDO?

(Note that because StdsReg is not an OASIS TC and therefore not
covered by the OASIS IP policy I have been asked by my Board to move
the StdsReg web page and email list off the OASIS servers. ANSI has
been kind enough to offer to take their turn at this hosting; we will
make the move very soon. I'll discuss this further on the next
concall.)

I've suggested these items for discussion in hopes of getting some
feedback from those of you interested in the future direction of this
effort. I'm got my own feelings on some of these, but would prefer to
get your ideas so that we can all together make some of these
important decisions.

Please respond!

</karl>
Karl F. Best