stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] Introduction and request

TO:  Standards Registry Committee

At last week's Interoperability Summit, Karl Best and Bob Hager gave
informative presentations on the work of this committee, which represents
one of the more tangible areas of progress since the first summit in
December. At DISA, we are putting together a registry of standards and
specifications from our affiliates, and if you folks have no objection, I
would like to join your committee so we can learn from your efforts and
hopefully contribute to it.

Our registry project is called the DISA Registry Initiative or DRIve is now
in a prototype stage; see http://www.disa.org/drive/ for info about the
project and to view it first hand.  DRIve is based on the ebXML registry
specifications (vers 1.0), and made possible by a donation of software from
XML Global.  At this point, we have specifications from the Open Travel
Alliance and Interactive Financial Exchange Forum in DRIve for
demonstration purposes, but we will be expanding it soon to cover all of
our affiliates.

DRIve is a good candidate to benefit from your project, and we would be
willing to serve as a test site, when you get to that point.  I would like
alert the DISA affiliate members who are serving as an advisors to DRIve
about your efforts.  Would anyone have any objections if I send the link to
version 2.5 of your draft metadata specs to our group?  Or is there a
better document that represents your efforts?

I saw in the mail list archive that committee members sent in
introductions, so let me take this opportunity do the same.  I am DISA's
director of publishing, which in addition to the registry work, involves
production of our electronic daily and weekly news services, as well as
white papers.  I have worked first-hand with several specifications groups
in the graphic arts, paper, publishing, and travel industries, covering
technologies such as EDI, bar codes, and XML.  I also do a little writing
on the side for XML.Com, WebServices.Org, Suite101.Com and whoever else can
stand reading my articles or books.

I look forward to working with this group.  Best regards.

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />
http://www.disa.org/dailywire/
Data Interchange Standards Association