stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] Introduction and Contribution

Dear Colleagues,

The purpose of this memo is to introduce myself and present a contribution to the work of this group.

I am a professor in Software and IT Engineering at the École de technologie supérieure, an engineering school (college) part of the Université du Québec network in Montréal, Canada.

Four months ago, and for nearly 22 years, I was working at Bell Canada were I held various engineering and managerial positions in engineering, quality engineering, IT procurement, IT infrastructure deployment and operation and IT Enterprise Architecture Management.
I have been continuously involved in software and system engineering standards development since 1984, being currently the international Chairman of the Joint ISO and IEC subcommittee responsible for the elaboration of Software and System Engineering Standards (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7).  I am also very active in the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Strategic Planning team.

Which bring me to the contribution.

As part of the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Strategic Planning activities, I have been mandated to produce a Technology Watch report.  A first version was presented at a meeting in ANSI New York offices the week preceding the Interoperability Summit.

To deliver on this task, a taxonomy of ICT standards was needed.  Attached is the spreadsheet presented at the New York meeting.  The matrix map the activities of different ICT organizations to the ICT taxonomy.

This is work in progress that is far from perfect.  The breakdown can be improved, although one of the design constraint is to have a tree that is no more than 4 levels deep including the root (e.g. ICT -> Base Technologies -> Programming Languages -> C++). I have more material explaining the taxonomy, and a more recent version of the spreadsheet (with OASIS and other organizations) is been elaborated.  The entire Technology Watch package will be sent for approval to JTC 1 at the end of August.

The taxonomy could be used to complement the work done on the registry up to now: it could be used to categorise all the standards in the registry.

If would evidently like to know if this is of interest to you.  Also, any comments would be appreciated.

Please note that this contribution is presently purely on my own initiative.

Regards,

François

-----------
François Coallier
Professeur / Professor
Département de génie électrique / Department of Electrical Engineering
École de technologie supérieure
1100, rue Notre-Dame Ouest
Montréal, Québec
Canada H3C 1K3
Tel. +1 514 396 8637
Fax. +1 514 396 8684
fcoallier@ele.etsmtl.ca

Président/Chairman
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC7 - Software and System Engineering
chair@jtc1-sc7.org
www.jtc1-sc7.org