stdsreg message

Subject: Re: [stdsreg] Some ideas on further process

Dear Colleagues,

Basically agree.  ISO and ISO/IEC JCTC 1 will not be ready to consider the specs for fast-track or PAS until it has the necessary backing from the user organisations.

On the other hand, if ISO or ISO/IEC JCTC 1 are still the final target, some preparatory work can be done with them concurently to accelererate things.  To do that, the project will have to hae an official status in one of the organization that has a status with ISO.

François

----- Original Message -----
To: stdsreg
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 1:21 PM
Subject: [stdsreg] Some ideas on further process

Before I forget, here my ideas on further process:

1. Finalise draft spec

a. We need a type of 'reference description' of the spec, for
   example modelled on the Dublin Core reference description.

b. Then we need an accompanying text with objectives, rationale,
   and a couple of examples where the spec is applied to describe
   existing standards - as I said earlier, I am confident that I
   can get someone to describe the main DC specifications this way.

c. Finally, we need to get a couple of examples how to code this in
   XML, so as to give the reader all they need to see how it would
   work in practice and give them a complete basis to comment on

2. Distribute the documents and solicit feedback

Send it out to as many SDOs/Committees/Groups as we can find and
solicit feedback. We need to set up a mechanism for ourselves to
handle replies - it would seem to be the most efficient if feedback
were to be sent to a single person, who then reports to the group.
We can discuss and resolve issues on our regular calls.

After revision to take into account valuable feedback, we can
finalise the spec.

Now for the further process, I would prefer not to try and get it
adopted as a standard in one of the open-process organisations
(yet), but I would want it to get adopted in the organisations
that are represented in our group, most notably ANSI, CEN and
OASIS, as an internal working document for their own documentation
process. I have no idea if there is a central responsibility for
documentation in these organisations - that mandates the working
groups to provide metadata with their documents or creates metadata
for specs that come out of the working groups (I am assuming that
you all have a database with all your documents and that would be
the point to impose our spec). The spec could then be published by
all these three organisations at more or less the same time.

Then, I would suggest, the three organisations could issue a joint
statement, addressed to ISO, IEEE, IETF, W3C etc. etc., suggesting
that they adopt it as well.

After that, I think it would be easy to get the spec processed as
a formal international standard somewhere, but preferable at ISO.

Makx.

Makx Dekkers                            e-mail: mail@makxdekkers.com
tel: +352 2636 0150     fax: +352 2636 0151     GSM: +352 021 199910