stdsreg message

Subject: Re: [stdsreg] action items

Karl, et al.

10/1: We should seek a standards organization that covers a wide range of
disciplines, at least beyond e-business and XML.  We will need to get
vertical industry groups to use the metadata, so it has to be viewed as
more than a exercise for techies.

10/2: We want to make the comment process as simple as possible -- the goal
is to encourage comments not make respondents jump through hoops.  In that
spirit, let's consider (1) two comment periods, preliminary and final (2)
each comment period 30 days, with 45 days during winter or summer holiday
period, (3) print draft documents with line numbers, (4) require
respondents to identify either the paragraph number or line number range in
the comments, (5) if possible, set up message board to capture comments,
(6) offer alternate e-mail submissions for respondents who wish to remain
anonymous,  (7) separate comments into two groups -- substantive and copy
editing, (8) after each comment period, the team should review each comment
and categorize as (a) accept, (b) reject as unresponsive, (c) ask
respondent for clarification or elaboration, or (d) discuss further among
team members.

Best regards.

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />