stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] StdsReg meeting minutes, 6 August

Minutes of the Standards Registry committee conference call #11, 6
August 2002 (submitted by Bob Hager)

Attendance: Karl Best, François Coallier, Bob Hager, Jim French, Karen
Boehme

(Call hosted by ANSI)

1. Introduction

Roll call and welcome from Karl Best.

The agenda was approved.

2. Approval of record 10th meeting (9 July 2002) (N025)

The record was approved.

3. Status of moving web pages and mail list to ANSI

Bob Hager reported that production on the ANSI-hosted pages was in
process and that an IT resource had been dedicated to the effort.
(Subsequently, he reports that all the pages have been built and are
ready for release via ANSI Online, but that the mail list function has
not yet been developed. The IT staff will soon be contacting the
identified technical resource at OASIS (Jeffery Lomas, Manager -
Technology Services) to complete the final stages of the transfer.)

4. General Discussion

4.1 Defining the scope of the spec and its description

Bob Hager asked for clarification on the term to be used to describe
the committee's primary output.  It was agreed that the term
"standard" was misleading, and that we should refer to the output as a
"specification". Karen Boehme emphasized that the accompanying
documentation to the spec must include introductory material outlining
how the metadata specification could be used to enhance the efficiency
of a given SDO's operation.  It was agreed that no XML (or other
syntax/markup) implementation is required for public review.

4.2 Next steps for specification

It was agreed that given we have a nearly stable specification, our
next steps are as follows:

a.   submit the specification (with usage guidelines) for a public
review within a broad SDO community. It was agreed that a 90-day
public review is appropriate.  In cover letter transmission, each SDO
should be urged to confirm whether the spec would be adequate to
describe the standards work of their organization.

b.  formally approve the specification within the committee

c.  submit the specification to a formal standards body for approval

d.  implementation:  As at least one starting point for
implementation, ANSI agreed to work to use NSSN as a test bed for the
implementation of the specification.

ACTION ITEM 4.2.1:  Karl Best will prepare the introductory material
for the specification to prepare it for public review while Bob Hager
will finalize the spec itself based on most recent input and also
provide usage guidance.

ACTION ITEM 4.2.2:  Bob Hager agreed to collect and distribute for
comment a list of worldwide SDOs for public review.  He will leverage
the work ANSI is doing on compiling the NIST 806 SDO database, and
will look to John K. for assistance with the CEN/ISS list and will
also consider the Diffuse.org listings.  It needs to be confirmed if
this list contained international bodies, as the NIST 806 effort was
focused on U.S. SDOs.

4.3 JTC1 Opportunities

François Coallier reported that he had spoken to the Chairperson of
the JTC1 Business Planning group (Scott Jameson) that they were very
interested in the metadata effort.  Part of their business strategy is
to be more proactive regarding the inclusion of a broader range of
standards developing interests in the JTC1 / ISO-IEC process.  The
metadata standard project, with its goal of meeting the needs of a
wide range of formal and less formal standards developing
organizations (including consortia) is a perfect fit with this
philosophy.

François would like to place at least a status report on the project
on the November plenary meeting in Nice.

ACTION ITEM 4.3.1:  In order to advance his lobbying effort, François
will put together a package to all JTC1 members that would include the
spec and a cover letter with recommendations for further action.  This
package could then be reviewed for further discussion at the plenary.
Subsequently, the spec could potentially be fast-tracked as a
submission to ISO, perhaps forwarded by ANSI.   François suggested
that the spec could be sent to JTC1 for informal review at the
beginning of our wider SDO public review.

4.4 Additional review and approval discussion

It was agreed that we would target to begin our SDO public review by
November 2002. (COMMENT from BH:  Hadn't we discussed starting this
review earlier than this?)

Karl Best noted that we would need some mechanism to capture and track
public comments for our own internal review.  Bob Hager agreed to
investigate leveraging existing ANSI systems for collecting public
review comments.

Karl confirmed that the internal committee voting on the spec would be
over the e-mail list with 2/3 majority required for approval.

4.5 Technical discussion

Bob Hager noted that he believed that few changes were needed to v2.8
and he would circulate a v3.0 version for review by the group.  It is
hoped that this v3.0 would be stable enough for public review.

7. Any other business

None

8.  Next meeting

This was agreed for August 20 at the usual time (noon ET).  Karen
Boehme of NFPA agreed to host the call.

[Karen has provided the following call-in information: +1-312-461-0845
Passcode: 425221  ]

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations