stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] Comments on Obligation and Max Cardinality

I had originally sent the comments below to Karl who suggested that I post these to the mailing list.

[Since I sent this to Karl I also found that the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set defines both
Obligation and Maximum Occurrence; is that why SdtReg chose these ?]

A related question to this; has the StdReg group identified any use cases (requirements) that
this effort address not only the base, ratified standards documents,  but also derived profiles
from these standards ?   It may be the case that some standards allow for extensibility and
optionality such that there arise derived 'instances' of these standards.   It would/might be
useful to also be able to learn about these derived standards profiles from the StdReg's
registry too.   In the case of HL7 (healthcare standard), this is an important concept which
has been the charter of one of the HL7 SIGs for over four (or more) years.   Currently,
we are actually trying to determine our own metadata requirements for storing profiles in
our own registry; currently a home-grown web-based registry, hopefully an ebXML
registry in the future.

    JohnS

Original email to Karl Best:
====================
Karl,

I took a quick look at your latest (2.9) spec and had this one comment (haven't joined the mailing
list yet).    Where you have added the columns Obligation and Max Cardinality
would it simplify things to just have a single Cardinality column ?  Cardinality can,
it appears, represent the concepts of both columns, e.g. Title is Mandatory and Once,
this is cardinality of 1..1 (in UML); Description is Optional and Once; this is
cardinality of 0..1.    We have a similar concept in HL7 Conformance Profiles for
our message contents and we use the numeric cardinality rules however we also had
the need to represent the concept of optionality in addition to cardinality (not sure of
the history behind it but it does seems redundant).  HL7 uses R - Required, RE - Required
but Empty, O - Optional, C - Conditional, and CE - Conditional but Empty.   The HL7
Conformance Chapter in the latest 2.5 (under ballot) document even has a table that
explains the relationship between cardinality and optionality.   If this is of interest to you
(your effort), let me know and I'll get you a copy of this section.

    John Silva