stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] RE: FW: if10-11A_Standsmetadata spec

Dear Frank

Thank you for this message, which James forwarded me.  In the Stds Reg Committee we did have some information on ISO 11179, though whether this was fully up to date I am not expert enough to say.

You might like to note that the original ideas were presented to the JTC1 Business Planning Group, and that the draft spec. will be presented to the November JTC1 Plenary.  Standards Registry participants (in copy) can enlighten further (almost) to close the loop.

Best regards
John Ketchell
Director, CEN/ISSS - Information Society Standardization System

URL:http://www.cenorm.be/isss

Rue de Stassart, 36
B-1050 Brussels
Belgium
email (direct) john.ketchell@cenorm.be
email (secretariat) isss@cenorm.be
Tel (direct) + 32 2 550 08 46
Tel (secretariat) + 32 2 550 08 13
Fax + 32 2 550 09 66
Tel (GSM) +32 75 594 828

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Farance [mailto:frank@farance.com]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 8:52 PM
To: Lisa Rajchel; Boyd James; Frank Farance
Cc: Doug Mann; Larry Fitzwater; Dan Gillman; Bruce Bargmeyer
Subject: Re: FW: if10-11A_Standsmetadata spec

Dear James Boyd-

Via Lisa Rajchel an ANSI, I received the document on metadata for standards.  I found the document very interesting and I hope that you give me permission to distribute the document to ISO/IEC JTC1 SC32 WG2 (Metadata Standards).  In particular, SC32/WG2 has been working on several aspects of this problem in the lastest revision of ISO/IEC 11179-6 (Metadata Registries -- Registration).  The reason this is of interest is that for each administered item in a metadata registry, we may need to normatively reference the original standards (or specification) wording that contains its definition.

There are certain aspects of the 11179-6 approach that are more complete than the model you propose.  Likewise, there are certain aspects of your model that are more complete than the 11179-6 approach.  I believe there could be very fruitful discussions on this topic.  The upcoming SC32/WG2 meeting is 2003-01 in Sante Fe, New Mexico, US and it would be useful to harmonize and collaborate.

I've CCd the SC32 Secretariat, the SC32 Chair, the SC32/WG2 Convener, and the 11179-6 Project Editor on this E-mail.  I'm actively involved in the SC32/WG2 work.  Let me know if we can distribute this document in SC32/WG2.  And let me know if you have followup questions or if you know others who might be interested in the SC32/WG2 activities.  Thanks!

-FF
Frank Farance, Farance Inc.     T: +1 212 486 4700   F: +1 212 759 1605
mailto:frank@farance.com        http://farance.com
Standards, products, services for the Global Information Infrastructure