stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] Update on JTC1 Process

Title: Update on JTC1 Process

As follow-up to our last meeting and subsequent action items, I've had a debriefing from Lisa Rajchel (JTC1 Secretariat) on the JTC1 process vis a vis the standards metadata project and wanted to update you all.

I've now confirmed receipt of all promised outstanding comments (specifically those from INCITS and the U.S. Dept of Commerce), so I will start compiling them for our review.

In terms of coordination and timing with the JTC1 process....at the most, the JTC1/SC32 plenary meeting this week will result in the project being approved for balloting as a New Project.  This ballot is 3 months.  It would only be after that ballot and as the project is nearing or past the Committee Draft stage that we'd have to introduce our public review comments.  The formal mechanism would be via the L8 group of INCITS and these comments would then be included as formal contributions from the U.S.  This would ensure that they get the proper attention.

I should have more to report at our Feb 4 meeting.

Bob Hager