stdsreg message

Subject: RE: [stdsreg] minutes of StdsReg mtg 4 February

Karl,
A couple of corrections to the minutes.
- "Roy Gates" should be "Ray Gates"
- "Farrance" should be "Farance".

With regard to the suggestion that I be nominated as editor of the SC32 project rather than Bob Hager, I understand that Bob is
concerned ANSI may not allow him to act as editor.  At present I am editor of one soon to be published standard (ISO/IEC
11179-3:2000) in which we have already identified a couple of problems that need corrigenda, and of five new projects with very
little text at all yet.  Furthermore, I do this work on my own time, which is therefore limited.

If Bob will undertake to do most of the actual writing, I might be willing to take on the official editor role if he is not allowed
to.  However, I cannot do so without such a commitment, either from Bob or someone else. Alternatively, since I am based in Canada,
it might be more convenient to find an editor from within INCITS L8.  National Body responses to the letter ballot will need to
specify whether they are able to provide an editor, so this is something we need to resolve before the ballot responses are due.

Regards,
Ray Gates

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 2:16 PM
To: stdsreg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [stdsreg] minutes of StdsReg mtg 4 February

StdsReg N042
Minutes of the Standards Registry Committee conference call #17, 4
February 2003 (submitted by John Ketchell)

(Call hosted by ANSI)

1. Introduction

Roll call and welcome.
Attendance: Bob Hager (acting as Chair in the unavoidable absence of
Karl Best), Em DelaHostria, John Ketchell

The agenda was approved (N041).

2. Approval of record of previous meeting, 14 January (N040)

No comments had been received and the meeting deemed them approved if
there were none before the next meeting.

3. Review of the status of the public review

Bob had prepared a synthesis of the comments made as a pdf document.  He
would send this very shortly for the Committee's review and discussion
at the next meeting.

4. Review of submission to ISO/IEC JTC1; report on the SC32 meeting

Bob reported he had attended the recent meeting of JTC1/SC32/WG2.  The
Group was very interested in the StdsReg project, and had given it an
enthusiastic reception. There had been some discussion of interface with
ISO TC46, resolved by putting into place a strong liaison proposal.  Bob
had been proposed as Editor, but instead had suggested Roy Gates be
approached.

Frank Farrance had been appointed as liaison from WG2 to the Stds. Reg.
Committee.  As a Committee, we needed to consider how to interact with
the JTC1 work, although the NWI proposal had also cited OASIS and
CEN/ISSS as liaisons.

The proposal would shortly be issued on a three month ballot to formally
approve putting it on the SC32 work programme.  This gave us time to
submit the results of the StdsReg enquiry process.  It was proposed we
submit these through INCITS Committee L8 (which was the US Technical
Advisory Group for SC32 ("mirror group" in European parlance) for formal
submission, although of course the liaison partners could also submit them.

activity in SC32 was related to search engines.  WG2 had agreed that the
meta-data in the citation analysis would be compliant with the StdsReg
specification.

5.  Discussion:  drop deliverables 2 and 3 from our Charter?

Bob and Em thought that John's draft annexed to N040 was along the right
lines.  Further discussion was deferred until the next meeting.  Em
suggested it might be useful to add some text to allow the Committee to
consider issues related to the convergence of taxonomies.

6.  Any other business

None

7.  Schedule next meeting and solicit host

This would be on Tuesday 25 February, same time. Bob would check with
Karl (note, since confirmed:  OASIS will host the meeting and notify the
Committee of the relevant call numbers).