tab-askthetab message

Subject: Re: [tab-askthetab] Groups - Question 001 Defining a Profile.pdfuploaded

Bill,

I had a few minutes to run some background material to ground on the
profile issue.

First, for the latest version of the OGC comments on profiles see:

xml.coverpages.org/OGC-07-036-GeographyMarkupLanguage-*GML*v321.pdf

In particular, consider pages 222-240. The question of creating a
profile is more complicated than "...a developer might copy the
applicable schema files from GML and simply delete any global types,
elements and local optional schema particles that she does not need for
her application schemas." Deletion is indeed possible, but it isn't
quite that simple.

In addition to the various cautions and restrictions on profiling
announced in the main text, the following appears in Annex J of the same
document:

> However, when an application schema will be used in a processing
> environment that lacks CPU, memory and/or I/O bandwidth, for example,
> in a mobile hand-held device, an absolutely minimal import of GML
> schema components is often desired. The custom top-level schema
> document approach described above might bring in an unacceptably large
> number of unwanted definitions from each GML schema included in the
> custom top-level schema document of the GML profile. The solution is
> to create a single GML subset schema that contains exactly the
> required GML type and element definitions. However, creating such a
> GML subset schema by hand using a text or XML editor to cut and paste
> definitions is a tedious and error-prone process because it involves
> analyzing type definition dependencies across the many GML schema
> documents. An automated approach is recommended instead.
Noting further that GML was *designed* with profiling in mind so I
expect the experience with "profiling" other standards can rely in part
on GML for general principles but with additional cautions.

Second, I have tracked down a summary of ISO 10000-1:1998 nformation
technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International Standardized
Profiles -- Part 1: General principles and documentation framework, see:
http://www.ifla.org/VI/5/reports/rep6/611.htm (Apologies for not having
the text or that of SO 19106:2004 Geographic information -- Profiles,
which addresses profiles of geospatial data, but ISO/IEC still cling to
a model of standards making where access makes someone "special." It
does, it does, just not the way they think it does. ;-) )

I have no general objection to the notion of profiling but as the
material developed by the OGC developed indicates, it is an area fraught
with difficulties.

Third, I hate to suggest TAB work this soon but I don't think this area
can be developed by a single TC and more properly is a TAB level activity.

(In the interest of full disclosure, ODF 1.0/1.1 and the proposed 1.2
release all violate various aspects of the profiling described by OGC.
Regrettable but it was in place when I arrive and I have to get to a
non-backwards compatible release point (2.0?) before I can "fix" that
particular issue. It doesn't promote the use/re-use of standards if our
own standards don't follow the standards they rely upon.)

I haven't reviewed the OGC material in detail but it looks like a good
starting point.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick

[Note: Yes, this is a resend of the earlier message, this time to the
tab-askthetab group. I overlooked the need to have the reply in the same
group as the original post. Well, until Bill reminded me anyway. ;-) ]

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net