tab-askthetab message

Subject: Re: [emergency-cap-profiles] Specification Profiles, ApplicationProfiles, Layers...

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Rex Brooks wrote:

> Thanks Robin,
>
> I'd really like to get "ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998 Information technology -
> Framework and taxonomy
> of International Standardized Profiles - Part 1: General principles and
> documentation framework"
>
> It is cited in OGC 3.1 Section 22 Profiles. So far, I have found the OGC
> material very helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Rex

ISO/IEC TR 10000 (1988)

Parts 1-3 are available from the collection of ISO Freely Available Standards,
as well as from the ISO Store (ca. $226 USD).  Your choice.  ;-)

I here provide bibliographic information and an unofficial excerpt from Part 1
(please see the complete ISO text for details, as the excerpt by itself
may be misleading).

I. ISO/IEC TR 10000 from the ISO Store (CHF 252, == USD $226)

ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 1: General principles and
documentation framework
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=30726
Cost: CHF 80,00

ISO/IEC TR 10000-2:1998
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 2: Principles and Taxonomy for OSI
Profiles
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=30728
Cost: CHF 106,00

ISO/IEC TR 10000-3:1998
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 3: Principles and Taxonomy for
Open System Environment Profiles
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=30727
Cost: CHF 66,00

II. ISO/IEC TR 10000 from ISO's Freely Available Standards

Freely Available ISO/IEC Standards
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Bibliographic Information and Excerpt for ISO/IEC TR 10000-1 (Part 1)

ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998
Fourth Edition
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 1: General principles and documentation
framework. From JTC1. Technical Report. 1998-11-01. 18 pages.
Reference number: ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998(E)
Copyright (c) ISO/IEC 1998.

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c030726_ISO_IEC_TR_10000-1_1998(E).zip

ISO/IEC TR 10000-1, which is a Technical Report of type 3, was
prepared by Joint Technical Committee ISO/IEC JTC 1, Information
technology. This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third
edition (ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1995), which has been technically
revised. ISO/IEC TR 10000 consists of the following parts, under
the general title "Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy
of International Standardized Profiles":
  * Part 1: General principles and documentation framework
  * Part 2: Principles and Taxonomy for OSI Profiles
  * Part 3: Principles and Taxonomy for Open System Environment Profiles
  * Other parts to be defined as necessary.

Introduction

The context of Functional Standardization is one part of the overall
field of IT standardization activities covering:

  * Base Standards, which define fundamentals and generalized procedures.
    They provide an infrastructure that can be used by a variety of
    applications, each of which can make its own selection from the
    options offered by them.
  * Profiles, which define conforming subsets or combinations of base
    standards used to provide specific functions. Profiles identify the
    use of particular options available in the base standards, and provide
    a basis for the development of uniform, internationally recognized,
    conformance tests.
  * Registration Mechanisms, which provide the means to specify detailed
    parameterization within the framework of the base standards or
    profiles.

Within ISO/IEC JTC 1, the process of Functional Standardization is
concerned with the methodology of  defining profiles, and their
publication in documents called "International Standardized Profiles"
(ISPs) in accordance with procedures contained in the Directives of
JTC 1. The scope of Information Technology standardization to which
this process is being applied is that which corresponds to the
generally understood, but loosely defined, concept of "Open Systems".
The objective is to facilitate the specification of IT systems
characterized by a high degree of interoperability and portability
of their components.

Scope

This part of ISO/IEC TR 10000 defines the concept of profiles, and
the way in which they are documented in International Standardized
Profiles. It gives guidance to organizations making proposals for
Draft International Standardized Profiles on the nature and content
of the documents they are producing.

This part of ISO/IEC TR 10000 outlines concepts of profiles and
taxonomies (or Classification Schemes), and the format and content
of ISPs. Annex A gives details of the format and the content of
ISPs as required by ISO/IEC JTC 1.

ISO/IEC TR 10000-2 provides principles and a classification scheme
for OSI profiles which may be or have been submitted for ratification
as International Standardized Profiles.

   NOTE: These OSI profiles specify OSI base standards, and those base
   standards concerned with interchange formats and data representation
   which are expected to be used in conjunction with them.

ISO/IEC TR 10000-3 provides the context for functional standardization
in support of Open System Environments (OSE), and principles and a
classification scheme for OSE profiles which may be or have been
submitted for ratification as International Standardized Profiles.
It outlines the basic OSE objectives and concepts, and defines an
approach and format for OSE profiles specified by International
Standardized Profiles and, along with this part of ISO/IEC TR 10000,
gives guidance to organizations making proposals for Draft ISPs on
the nature and content of the documents they produce.

Part 2 and Part 3 may be extended for OSI and OSE profiles respectively
and further parts of ISO/IEC TR 10000 may be developed to define other
classes of profiles.

ISO/IEC TR 10000 is applicable to all International Standardized
Profiles of ISO and IEC. Its primary focus is the area of competence
of ISO/IEC JTC 1, but by mutual agreement with JTC 1, other Technical
Committees may undertake similar functional standardization activities
leading to the inclusion of additional material in this Technical
Report.

[Definition]: "Profile: A set of one or more base standards and/or
ISPs, and, where applicable, the identification of chosen classes,
conforming subsets, options and parameters of those base standards,
or ISPs necessary to accomplish a particular function."

5. Purpose of profiles

Profiles define combinations of base standards or other profiles
for the purpose of:

* identifying the standards and ISPs, together with appropriate
   classes, conforming subsets, options and parameters, which are
   necessary to accomplish identified functions (e.g. interoperability)
   or to support a class of applications (e.g. Transaction Processing
   applications)

* providing a scheme of referencing the various uses of standards
   and ISPs which is meaningful to both users and suppliers in
   response to a systematic identification and analysis of user
   requirements

* providing a means to enhance the availability for procurement of
   consistent implementations of functionally defined groups of
   standards and ISPs, which are expected to be the major components
   of real IT systems, and which realise the intentions of the
   corresponding reference models or frameworks with which the
   standards are associated

* promoting uniformity in the development of conformance tests for
   IT systems that implement the functions associated with the
   profiles

Underlying all these purposes is the assumption that there exists
a requirement for the definition, standardization, implementation,
and testing of such a profile. The processes employed shall therefore
include the identification, recording, and monitoring of such
requirements, as expressed by the eventual users of the profile...

[******* please see the complete/official  ISO text; the excerpt
above is in no way official or authoritative **********]

Bibliographic Information for ISO/IEC TR 10000-2 (Part 2)

ISO/IEC TR 10000-2:1998
Fifth Edition
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 2: Principles and Taxonomy for OSI
Profiles.  From JTC1. Technical Report. 1998-11-01. 30 pages.
Online download (free):
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c030728_ISO_IEC_TR_10000-2_1998(E).zip

Bibliographic Information for ISO/IEC TR 10000-3 (Part 3)

ISO/IEC TR 10000-3:1998
Second Edition
Information technology -- Framework and taxonomy of International
Standardized Profiles -- Part 3: Principles and Taxonomy for Open
System Environment Profiles. From JTC1. Technical Report.
1998-11-01. 18 pages.
Online download (free):
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c030727_ISO_IEC_TR_10000-3_1998(E).zip

  - Cheers,
    Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html