tab-askthetab message

Subject: RE: Need authoritative OASIS definition of "profile"

Hi David,

  OASIS doesn’t have an official definition. Different TCs use Profiles in different ways. In fact, this very question is currently before the TAB as the first “Ask the TAB” question from the Emergency Management TC. I’m forwarding your note to them as well so they realize this touches more than a single TC.

Regards,

Mary

From: Staggs, David (SAIC) [mailto:David.Staggs@va.gov]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:02 PM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; Dee Schur; jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

All

Subject says it all, please provide a link to the definition if possible.  For additional background, continue reading. :-)

I have been asked by the HL7 SOA TC to get the authoritative OASIS definition of "profile."  HL7 deals with several SDO’s so it is important to understand the definition from the source SDO.  After searching in the OASIS materials, I have not seen a definition of the term “profile” at the pan-OASIS level, just in TC or general documents.  For example:

“A profile is a subset of the overall specifications that includes all of the functionality necessary to satisfy the requirements of a particular community of users.” (http://xml.coverpages.org/conform20000112.html) offered by an author from NIST.

Even within a TC you have various profiles (attribute profile in SSTC).

Now consider examples from other groups, such as HSSP:

Definition of profile within HSSP can be a:

Conformance profile, (both functional and semantic behavior).

Functional profile (group capabilities to achieve a single purpose).

Semantic profile (profile-specific semantic structures & terminology, with metadata instances, references).

So we need the authoritative definition so we can match up the meaning between organizations.  Has OASIS adopted a definition or does it depend (e.g. on the composibility and atomicity) used in its application? Could you point me to the official document that holds the definition of “profile?”

Regards

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration