tab-askthetab message

Subject: RE: [tab-askthetab] First Cut on Profiles

We might have be careful not to over think this issue. IMHO within an OASIS context a profile is one of two things:

1.      A separate specification in its own right that modifies conformance requirements of one or more other specifications.

2.      A distinct conformance point within a specification that modifies another conformance point in the same specification.

From: Durand, Jacques R. [mailto:JDurand@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: 13 January 2009 00:50
To: Patrick Durusau; tab-askthetab@lists.oasis-open.org

Inline <JD>,
-jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [
mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:42 AM
To: tab-askthetab@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [tab-askthetab] First Cut on Profiles

Greetings!

Thinking about an appropriate response from the TAB to the question raised by Rex Brooks.

As a first cut I would suggest:

1. Acknowledge that OASIS has no formal guidance on the "profile" issue

<JD> we first need to define which kind of profile we talk about:
(a) integration profiles (a-la-WSI)
(b) usage profile (or deployment profile), which is about a community of user deciding of how to layer their own business practice on top of OASIS standards. May contain [application] domain-specific info.

(c) COnformance profiles, whcih are more about defining a (set of) conformance clause(s) that define precisely what are the requirements - and the options - for a product that claims to conform to a spec.

2. Summarize the resources posted thus far, including those from Robin (thanks Robin!).

<JD> I made last year a presentation about the general "profiling" activity, in EU. Will retrieve these slides.

Perhaps in the form of an annotated set of resources with the major issues bulleted as a lead in?

Question: Given the complexity of the profile issue, do we need anything more than some bright line stuff for the common cases (don't reuse names in a namespace unless you are following the original definition)?

Having just skimmed most of the material that has been posted, I can readily imagine having different opinions on successive days about profiling in particular situations. I am not at all certain that beyond repeating the considerations that have been outlined by others that there is a lot of new ground to be covered. Perhaps after some experience has been gained using those general profiling considerations I may feel differently but at the moment I am not sure what more we could offer.

I am not sure how such matters get on the agenda for discussion/decision by the TAB but I would be more than happy to draft some text that summarizes what I think could be some bring line rules and pointers to other considerations that could form the basis for an answer from the TAB.

<JD> we could add a "profiling" section to out TAB wiki, as a collaborative space on this topic.

I am assuming that answers are expected in some relatively responsive time frame.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net