tab-askthetab message

Subject: RE: [tab-askthetab] First Cut on Profiles

[Jacques]
> So my question to Patrick / Robin is what kind of profile they had in mind ?

Jacques, many thanks for your input.  Based upon a survey of several SSOs
(some material already copied to this list, or to the OASIS EM CAP Profile
Subcommittee), I can understand why you'd say the term "profile" is
already quite an overloaded.  It does seem to be used variably in different
application domains (e.g., somewhat differently in digital library
space, healthcare, "IT", etc.)  The distinctions you have drawn are very
useful.

Truthfully, I don't have ANY profile type "in mind."  None whatsoever.  I
think it might be useful to provide OASIS TCs with some background and
reference material -- and possibly, best practice material -- so that
when TCs and SCs use the term "profile" in connection with their work,
the thing called "profile" meets some commonly accepted expectations.
A secondary benefit might be that user communities outside OASIS (e.g.,
IETF Working Groups) "profile" OASIS specifications, they could
consult this OASIS description and reference material to learn more
about "profiling" considerations we believe are important.

I think it would be a mistake to prescribe (mandate) any particular
definitions of "profile" to constrain and control OASIS TCs -- because
indeed, different spec efforts have different goals, and (per above)
the application domains impose different sets of assumptions.

The suggested background and reference material provided to TCs could help
ensure that technical work considered "profile" work takes cognizance
of key concepts, concerns, and common definitions so that the
profile specs communicate clearly to users, for the broad purpose
of interoperability across SSOs and end user communities.

Now: that's just my personal (limited) set of interests and concerns;
others on the TAB may have different goals, and that's fine.

I'll probably create a brief "Topic Document" in the Cover Pages
with a collection of references for example profiles, and for
published definitions used in various SSOs.  I don't intend to make
any personal analysis beyond that.

Jacques, your EU (ETSI Workshop) presentation [1] is one kind of
overview document I'd happily included in my set of references for
the benefit of readers who want to assess -- for themselves --
what the key considerations are for profiles, and the breadth of
usage of the "overloaded" term across various SSOs.

Many thanks!  I look forward to continued discussion from TAB members.

  - Robin

[1] http://www.etsi.org/plugtests/B2B/Prst/10_JDurand.pdf
     Paper presented at ETSI Workshop

    ETSI B2B Workshop (Plugtest Event)
    July 7-11, 2008
    Sophia Antipolis, France
    Session 2: Integration of eBusiness solutions -- Standardization issues
    Monday 7 July 2008
    Alain DECHAMPS, CEN (Chair)
    Jacques DURAND, FUJITSU
    Samy SCEMAMA, BOOSTAERO

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html