tab-askthetab message

Subject: RE: [tab-askthetab] FW: [askthetab] errata question

Hal
Well said
Regards
Abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hal.lockhart@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:37 PM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; Ask The TAB

Actually, the original concept behind OASIS errata was that errata
should be an attempt to restore the original intent of the document.
This primarily falls into two categories:

1. Mistakes.
2. Clarifications.

As I pointed out in the memo I wrote which led to the definition of the
current process, one of the most common errors is to leave out the word
"not" in a sentence. Correcting such a sentence is technically an
incompatible change, although perhaps the error was recognized from the
first and ignored by implementers.

Therefore I would argue that there are (admittedly rare) cases where an
"incompatible" change might be allowed. However as a practical matter, I
think it is reasonable to say that when things are computer enforced,
e.g. by Schema validation, then it may be most practical to enforce the
current no incompatible changes policy. However if the point in question
is only specified in text, I think it would be reasonable to allow if
the original intent is clear to all.

Personally I think the Board got the definition wrong, but there is only
so much I can do to influence the TAB, let alone the Board.

Hal